Saturday, March 27, 2010

Just give me happy....

There was a time when I loved the drama... There was a time when I loved a good psychological thriller of a movie, an intense-maybe even scary, book.

Now, I just want happy. I want to laugh;  I want to maybe cry a happy tear;  I want it all to work out in the end-I want the "happily ever after."

So many times this week people have come to me recommending I see the movie Precious. I am sure everyone knows about this movie. It is about a girl, who is horribly sexually, physically and emotionally abused. It is her overcoming unspeakable trauma to change her life. I get it! I get that this would be inspiring on one level, that it would be moving beyond words.... But I cannot handle it. I simply couldn't watch that movie or read that book.

It is not that I want to be ignorant about awful things. Certainly day in and day out my profession allows me the honor of walking along side children who have suffered exactly that type of abuse. I KNOW it is out there. I know the depths of evil-and I do not use that word loosely. You would think I would for sure be able to handle that type of movie given that it is not real-not real people, all scripted-especially since I am dealing with the real thing, no scripts, no producers, no set designers....

I think however, that it is BECAUSE of what I do, that I just want HAPPY. Actually, it is perhaps more accurate to say I NEED happy.....

So really... unless Jennifer Anistan is in it-don't invite me to the movies.....

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment