Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The "After Work/School/Daycare Rituals"....

We do the same things every day around here... I am someone who needs a routine, needs a sense of the familiar. I am convinced this is good for my children as well, but truth be told, it probably is more about my needs than theirs....

As soon as we are home, Mahone and I share a popsicle-this is essential in my mind!!!



   
  








Then each evening, it is stories. Mahone usually reads stories in bed-we read an amazing amount of books-sometimes 8-9 stories a night. He is now requesting stories that are NOT picture books and I am enjoying this as well... He really is an old soul. Seamus reads stories in the living room. However since tonight I am on my own and well... to be honest, when I am on my own, the kids' bedtime routine is shall we say-more flexible.... so we spent time reading puzzle books that Nan sent the boys for Easter-reading WITH puzzles-oh so much fun!!!


Rituals and daily routines are essential. Sometimes as a mom I feel like I am simply making it through the day, caught in all the little details that occupy just "making it"...Rituals that create a sense of fun and center on quieting and truly connecting FEEL right to me (see again-all about me!) Perhaps because I am away from them all day, I need to connect, I need to share those few moments of remembering...or should I say reminding them-I am their mom and there is nowhere I would rather be than with them...

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment