Sunday, April 11, 2010

I like him...I really like him...

My 7 year old says to me-"can I watch some tv mom?" and I answer, "sure, treehouse or teletoon?" and he answers-with a roll of the eye-"sports mom, just put it on TSN!!"

When did this happen??? When did he not watch cartoons and instead watch basketball, football, hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, motorcrossing.... you get the picture, any sport will do.

I am finding myself gazing at him-my toothless guy. He now is sporting a full mohawk(yes, the sides are actually shaved-not a 'fauxhauk'-the real deal), he asked me to buy him a pink golf shirt, because "that's what the Grade 7's wear", he goes to bed only after reading his Archie comics, and he can tell you anything, I mean ANYTHING, about Star Wars!

There are moments I feel I am losing him and then there are moments when I am SO SO happy we are here-sitting at the table talking-I mean really talking together about some shared interest and he sounds so grown-up and I like it...He is giving me these glimpses-in the midst of the occassional tantrum-of who is becoming...

I love him....I love him because I am his Mom-God choose him for me!!!! But you know what in a way feels even better, I like him-I enjoy him, I like spending time with him, I like his personality, I like his quirks, I LOVE his taste in music-with the exception of ACDC (really, they only have 1 good song in my mind, but he loves it all). I am not saying every day is a good one, and I am not saying there are never days when I want to just run from him, but lately, as he is growing, as he is changing right before my very eyes, I realize-hey, even if he wasn't my guy, I would really really like spending time with this kid....

I just need to make sure he knows it...because nothing feels better for a child than to know, really know, that they are thoroughly enjoyed.....

So off I go to hug him close, remember his tiny little newborn face, remember the crazy toddler he was-hug him a little tighter because of all the mistakes I made in those years, tell him "I am glad we are friends"... and beat his butt at Lego Soccer-he has built the stadium, he has just finished singing the anthem, so looks like I'm up!!!

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment